Podcasts de historia

Niagara VII PG-52 - Historia

Niagara VII PG-52 - Historia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Niágara VII
(PG-52: dp. 1,922 (f.); 1. 267 '; b. 35'4 "; dr. 17'; s. 16 k .; cpl.139; a. 2 3")

El séptimo Niagara (PG-52), un yate construido en 1929 como Hi-Esmare por Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, fue comprado por la Marina el 16 de octubre de 1940 a la Sra. H. Edward Manville de la ciudad de Nueva York; convertido en cañonera por el New York Navy Yard; rebautizado como Niagara el 12 de noviembre de 1940; y comisionado en Nueva York el 20 de enero de 1941, el teniente Edwin W. Herron al mando.

Niagara se puso en marcha desde Nueva York el 4 de febrero de 1941 para atender las unidades del Escuadrón 2 de lanchas torpederas motorizadas que operaban entre Miami y Key West, Florida, y la Bahía de Guantánamo, Cuba. Partió de Key West el 20 de marzo de 1941 para reparaciones en Nueva York y operaciones en la Estación Naval Torpedo, Newport, Rhode Island durante el verano.

Niagara se destacó desde Nueva York el 30 de agosto de 1941 en ruta a Hawai, a través de la Bahía de Guantánamo, el Canal de Panamá y San Diego, y llegó a Pearl Harbor el 9 de octubre para patrullar la frontera marítima de Hawai. El 29 de noviembre partió como unidad de escolta de un convoy con destino a las islas Fiji. Estaba en el mar con el convoy cuando los japoneses atacaron Pearl Harbor. La cañonera regresó a ese puerto el 15 de diciembre, sirviendo como licitación a las unidades del Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 1 hasta el 1 de abril de 1942.

Luego escoltó un convoy a San Diego en ruta Coco Solo, Zona del Canal de Panamá, donde atendió botes torpederos y ayudó a proteger los accesos al Canal de Panamá. Durante la revisión en el Navy Yard de Nueva York en el verano, se preparó para servir en Newport, R. I. como barco escuela para un escuadrón de entrenamiento de lanchas torpederos a motor. Este deber continuó hasta que se dirigió al Pacífico suroeste el 27 de noviembre a través del Canal de Panamá y las Islas de la Sociedad. En ruta, el 13 de enero de 1943 Niagara fue reclasificado como el primer barco torpedero a motor de la Armada y fue redesignado AGT'-I.

Niagara llegó a Noumea, Nueva Caledonia el 17 de enero y comenzó a atender la División 23 de Lanchas Torpedo Motor, Escuadrón 8. Navegó con la división el 27 y llegó a su base en Tulagi, Islas Salomón, el 17 de febrero. En los meses siguientes, atendió a los torpederos a motor que realizaban patrullas de seguridad frente a Guadalcanal.

El 7 de abril, los japoneses asaltaron la zona de Guadalcanal-Tulagi con 177 aviones, de los cuales unos 25 fueron derribados. Dos bombas hundieron la corbeta neozelandesa Moa. Niágara, en la espesura

de la pelea, estaba al norte del puerto, amarrado a la orilla occidental del río Maliali, rumbo abajo con el raíl del dragaminas (AM-26) amarrado fuera de borda muy a popa. Nueve aviones enemigos remontaron el río, ninguno de ellos a más de 150 pies sobre el agua. Niagara y Rail los tomaron a todos bajo fuego.

El primer avión, que ya estaba en llamas, se estrelló contra árboles a unos 1.000 metros a popa del Niágara. Los dos aviones siguientes escaparon, pero el cuarto perdió rápidamente altitud en una corriente de humo blanco para explotar detrás de las colinas del norte. Los siguientes dos asaltantes pasaron a menos de 150 yardas e intentaron ametrallar el barco, pero sus disparos fueron erráticos y se tambalearon inseguros mientras atravesaban el intenso fuego de Niagara antes de estrellarse contra el bosque frente a su barrio de babor.Los siguientes dos aviones se cortaron hacia arriba y hacia la derecha. cuando es tomado bajo fuego. Un rastro de humo marrón claro desapareció cerca de las colinas a popa del haz de babor del Niágara. La otra pasó a estribor y se estrelló en las colinas de su cuadrante de estribor.

El 22 de mayo, Niagara, con Motor Torpedo Boat División 23, partió de Tulagi rumbo a Nueva Guinea. A la mañana siguiente, un monoplano bimotor japonés de alto vuelo atacó con cuatro bombas. El barco hizo un giro estrecho de StarDoard a la máxima velocidad hasta que se lanzaron las bombas y luego hizo girar el barco con fuerza hacia babor. Tres casi accidentes a estribor y uno a babor dañaron el equipo de sonido de Niagara y el mecanismo de entrenamiento de un cañón de 3 pulgadas y dejaron sin control temporalmente el control de la dirección. Media hora más tarde, cuando se recuperó el control de la dirección, otros seis aviones bimotores de alto vuelo lanzaron un patrón de más de una docena de bombas. Un impacto directo en el castillo de proa de Niágara y varios fueron dañinos cerca de miGses.

El agua que corría por un agujero de 14 pulgadas a 6 pies por debajo de su agua inundó dos almacenes, un pasillo y su sala de máquinas. Todo el poder y la iluminación fallaron, y sus motores principales se detuvieron. El fuego por debajo de la cubierta de proa estaba fuera de control, y Niagara se puso rápidamente a babor. Su motor principal y el control de la dirección se restablecieron 7 minutos después del ataque. Pero su creciente lista y el peligro inminente de explosión de sus tanques de almacenamiento de gasolina requirieron la orden de "abandonar el barco".

PT-146 y PT-147 se acercaron a su popa para despegar a algunos de los tripulantes de Niagara. Otros cayeron por su costado en balsas y botes para ser recogidos por otros torpederos a motor. El Niágara se incendió de proa a puente. Las llamas se extendían a popa y las municiones estallaban en cubierta. Sin embargo, a pesar de sus daños, ninguno de los 136 oficiales y hombres de Niagara murió o resultó gravemente herido.

PT-147 disparó un torpedo que golpeó a Niagara en los tanques de gasolina. Explotó con una hoja de fuego de 300 pies de altura y se hundió en menos de un minuto. Los botes torpederos a motor aterrizaron con su tripulación en Tulagi temprano a la mañana siguiente.

Niagara recibió una estrella de batalla por el servicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.


RMS Niágara

RMS Niágara fue un transpacífico transatlántico de vapor, Royal Mail Ship y buque de carga refrigerado. Fue lanzada en 1912 en Escocia y hundida en 1940 por una mina en la costa de Nueva Zelanda.

Su ruta habitual era entre Sydney y Vancouver a través de Auckland, Suva y Honolulu. En sus 27 años de carrera, realizó 162 viajes de ida y vuelta entre Australia, Nueva Zelanda y Canadá y navegó casi 2.500.000 millas náuticas (4.600.000 km).

Niágara fue propiedad en primer lugar de Union Steam Ship Company de Nueva Zelanda (conocida popularmente como la "Union Company"), y más tarde de Canadian-Australasian Line, que fue propiedad conjunta de Union Company y Canadian Pacific. Como muchos barcos de Union Company, estaba registrada en Londres en el Reino Unido.

Niágara fue construido para quemar carbón o petróleo. Fue el primer barco de vapor que quema petróleo certificado por la Junta de Comercio para transportar pasajeros. Cuando es nuevo, Niágara era el barco mercante más grande hasta ahora propiedad de una empresa de Nueva Zelanda. En 1914 y 1915 estableció varios récords de velocidad para cruzar el mar de Tasmania.

En 1918 Niágara fue fundamental en la propagación de la gripe española a Nueva Zelanda.

Cuando fue hundida en 1940, Niágara llevaba alrededor de 8 1 ⁄ 2 toneladas de lingotes de oro. Los buzos recuperaron 555 lingotes en 1941 y otros 30 en 1953, pero cinco lingotes de oro siguen desaparecidos.

Niágara estaba lleno de aceite cuando se hundió. Desde entonces, el combustible pesado se ha filtrado de sus tanques de combustible y ha causado algunos daños ambientales en el Golfo de Hauraki y sus alrededores. Algo de petróleo permanece en su naufragio, y la escala de amenaza ambiental que puede representar continúa siendo objeto de debate.


El record Índice de artículos y ubicaciones

A muchos investigadores les resultará útil navegar, buscar y filtrar los miles de artículos que se encuentran en El record por título y ubicación. Nuestro índice interactivo de artículos por título y ubicaciones principales debutó en julio de 2020 gracias al arduo trabajo del equipo de NYG & ampB, incluidos voluntarios y pasantes.

Este índice es especialmente útil para descubrir artículos sobre los temas y ubicaciones de su propia investigación; independientemente de los nombres y familias cubiertos, estos artículos pueden ayudarlo a descubrir pistas y fuentes importantes para usar en su propia investigación. También es particularmente útil para encontrar artículos serializados publicados en múltiples entregas. Visita Índice de artículos de NYG & ampB Record.


Asentamiento

Muchos se alistaron en unidades leales y finalmente se trasladaron a la Norteamérica británica. Después de la Revolución Americana, se desarrolló una red informal que ayudó a estos esclavos fugitivos a trasladarse al norte. Con el paso del tiempo, esta red se conoció como el Ferrocarril Subterráneo. Amherstburg, en el extremo occidental del Alto Canadá, se convirtió en uno de los puntos de entrada clave para el paso de los esclavos fugitivos a la libertad.

Esta vista de Amherstburg muestra cómo se veía la comunidad en los últimos días del ferrocarril subterráneo.


Haga clic para ver una imagen más grande (97K)
Calle principal, Amherstburg, 1865
Fondos de Alvin D. McCurdy
Código de referencia: F 2076-16-6-2-44
Archivos de Ontario, I0024850


Haga clic para ver una imagen más grande (195K)
Cabecera de Voice of the Fugitive
Fondos de Alvin D. McCurdy
Código de referencia: F 2076-16-9-35
Archivos de Ontario

Es difícil encontrar documentación sobre el ferrocarril subterráneo. Operó en secreto dentro de los Estados Unidos y tuvo que operar silenciosamente dentro de Canadá para evitar incidentes fronterizos. La mayor parte del material disponible muestra a algunas de las personas involucradas y dónde podrían haber vivido o buscado refugio.

Una de las pocas fuentes directas de información sobre las actividades de los miembros del Ferrocarril Subterráneo fueron los periódicos contemporáneos, como Voice of the Fugitive, que fue el primer periódico operado y propiedad de negros en Ontario. Fue fundado y publicado en Sandwich y Windsor por Henry Bibb, quien escapó, primero a Detroit y luego a Canadá, después de la aprobación de la Ley de Esclavos Fugitivos. El periódico apareció por primera vez el 1 de enero de 1851 y dejó de publicarse en 1854.

Levi Veney fue uno de los antiguos esclavos que se dirigió al Alto Canadá. Encontró refugio en una de las casas establecidas para brindar refugio y alivio inmediato a quienes cruzaban la frontera. The Park House en Colchester South era una importante estación de paso para quienes ingresaban a la provincia.


Haga clic para ver una imagen más grande (146K)
Levi Veney, ex esclavo que vivía en Amherstburg,
tomada en J. D. Burkes & # 8217 store, 1898
Fondos de Alvin D. McCurdy
Código de referencia: F 2076-16-3-5
Archivos de Ontario, I0024830


Park House, Colchester South, un refugio de esclavos durante el siglo XIX, [ca. 1950]
Fondos de Alvin D. McCurdy
Código de referencia: F 2076-16-6-1
Archivos de Ontario, I0024851

La comunidad negra del Alto Canadá apoyó a la Corona en tiempos de crisis. Durante la Guerra de 1812, milicianos negros sirvieron en Queenston Heights. Durante la Rebelión de 1837, el miedo a la anexión a los Estados Unidos y un posible regreso a la esclavitud reforzó el ya fuerte Lealismo de la comunidad negra y su voluntad de servir en la milicia. Parte del interés de Alvin McCurdy por la historia se debió a que los historiadores no registraron la participación de los negros en estos conflictos.


Leyenda de Niagara: Maid of the Mist

El viaje temprano desde el lado estadounidense al lado canadiense siempre había sido una empresa peligrosa y, a mediados del siglo XIX, apareció una necesidad definitiva de un método sostenible para cruzar el desfiladero del Niágara. Ya en 1825 habían surgido servicios de transbordadores privados a lo largo de las orillas del río.

Una fotografía temprana de la Doncella de la Niebla

Por lo general, el capitán de estas pequeñas embarcaciones era el agricultor propietario de la tierra donde se encontraba el muelle. Una guía de las Cataratas del Niágara de 1941 hace referencia a estos pequeños botes de remos que surcaban el río, a veces llegando a 40 o más. Por lo general, estos viajes desde el lado estadounidense al lado canadiense transcurrieron sin incidentes y no hay relatos de accidentes que hayan tenido lugar.

En mayo de 1846 se lanzó el primer Maid of the Mist a vapor con mucha fanfarria. Era una gran barcaza, como un barco con dos chimeneas, que pesaba más de 100 toneladas. Durante varios años transportó mercancías y personas a través del río, sin embargo, en 1848 se construyó el primer puente colgante sobre el desfiladero y esto tuvo un gran impacto en el servicio de ferry.

Los bienes y servicios ya no tenían que ser transportados por el río. Sin embargo, había una nueva industria floreciente: la industria del turismo, y aunque la Doncella de la Niebla ya no transportaba viajeros de un lado a otro, ahora transportaban una nueva generación de viajeros…. aquellos que querían ver la belleza de las cataratas de cerca y estaban dispuestos a pagar por ello.

Maid of the Mist acercándose al rellano en el lado canadiense, [ca. 1880]

En mayo de 1854 se lanzó una nueva Maid of the Mist más grande. Este barco era un barco de una sola pila impulsado por vapor impulsado por un motor de 100 caballos de fuerza.

Uno de sus primeros patrocinadores fue el rey Eduardo VII, Príncipe de Gales, quien el 15 de septiembre de 1860 realizó una excursión turística en el Maid of the Mist hasta la base de American Falls.

Este segundo Maid of the Mist estuvo en funcionamiento hasta el otoño de 1860. En 1861, el barco fue vendido en una subasta privada y comprado por una empresa de Montreal con la condición de que fuera entregado al lago Ontario.

Esto significaría que el Maid of the Mist tendría que ser navegado por el río Niágara, a través de Whirlpool Rapids, Whirlpool y Lower Rapids. La mayoría creía que era una hazaña imposible, pero Cpt. Robinson acompañado por otros dos miembros de la tripulación emprendió el viaje.

El barco partió del muelle de Bellevue, Nueva York, y en cuestión de minutos estaba siendo sacudido por los rápidos de Whirlpool. Más tarde llegaría a Queenston, levemente averiado, siendo el primer barco en llegar allí desde el oeste. (Ver Capitán Joel Robinson)

Una fotografía temprana de Maid of the Mist Landing

Durante casi otros veinticinco años no habría servicio de ferry en el río Niágara. Durante este tiempo, los transbordadores en el río se realizaban exclusivamente en pequeños botes de remos. A finales de la década de 1870 y con la llegada de los ferrocarriles, miles de turistas llegaban a las Cataratas del Niágara.

En 1884, R.F. Carter y Frank LeBlond. Esta tercera Dama de la Niebla resultó ser tan exitosa que se agregó un segundo barco a la flota. Estos dos nuevos barcos eran más poderosos que nunca y acercaban a los turistas cada vez más a la base de las cataratas.

Se informa que el Capitán Carter realizó sesenta mil viajes sin incidentes transportando pasajeros de ida y vuelta desde la base de las cataratas. En agosto de 1955, se construyó una nueva y más grande Maid of the Mist en Owen Sound y se transportó a las Cataratas del Niágara en cuatro piezas. Este nuevo barco estaría construido íntegramente en acero.

Quizás el momento más heroico de Maid of the Mist llegó el 9 de junio de 1960 cuando un niño de siete años, Roger Woodward, fue arrastrado por las cataratas mientras paseaba en bote con amigos. Un capitán de pensamiento rápido observó un chaleco salvavidas naranja en los rápidos arremolinados y, al examinarlo más de cerca, se dio cuenta de que un niño estaba vivo y luchando contra la corriente debajo de las cataratas.

Si la Doncella de la Niebla no hubiera estado en ese lugar en ese momento en particular para rescatar al niño, lo más probable es que hubiera perecido.

Hoy, las cuatro Maid of the Mists llevan a los turistas a un viaje increíble hasta la base de las cataratas.


¿No es un miembro? Únase ahora para disfrutar de todos los beneficios para miembros, incluido el acceso a Registrarse y más de mil millones de nombres que se pueden buscar en nuestras bases de datos. También tendrá acceso completo a otras herramientas de investigación, personal experto y recursos para ayudarlo a descubrir su historia familiar.

Volumen 175, Número entero 698, Primavera de 2021

Las excomuniones del pasajero de Mayflower William White y sus medio hermanos Henry y Jacomine May, en Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Sue Allan, Caleb Johnson y Simon Neal

Tres hijas francesas y sus maridos: tres matrimonios no registrados de Early Ipswich, Massachusetts: Amy (francés) Gage, Susan (francés) Kingsbury y Anne (francés) Hardy
Melinde Lutz Byrne y John Edward Hardy

Richard y Hannah (¿Hewes?) Woods de Roxbury, Massachusetts, y algunos de sus descendientes
John D. Beatty

Actualización de la ascendencia del gobernador John Endecott (ca. 1588-1664 / 5)
James Heffernan

Clasificación de varios hombres de Daniel Lanphear
Scott Andrew Bartley y Diane MacLean Boumenot

La ascendencia de Sarah Meakins, esposa de Thomas 3 Miller de Springfield, Massachusetts
Clifford L. Stott

Notas sobre la familia Stiles de Millbrook, Bedfordshire y Windsor, Connecticut
B. Darrell Jackson

La segunda esposa de Moses Gile de Hampstead, New Hampshire: ¿Cuál Mary Clark?
Derek Doran Wood

Identificando a Grace 3 Fairbanks como la esposa de Ephraim Bullen
Letitia DeVillar Richardson

La ascendencia de Nueva Inglaterra de Reuben Wolcott de Delaware y Virginia
Marian Bowers Natale

William Hills de la Gran Migración: Orígenes probables en Upminster, Essex
Perry Streeter

Robert 1 Harris de Roxbury y Muddy River, Massachusetts
Gale Ion Harris (concluido a partir de 175: 56)

La ascendencia Colman y Cutler de John 1 Thorndike del condado de Essex, Massachusetts, con la ascendencia Colman de John 1 Coggeshall, Muriel 1 (Gurdon) Saltonstall y Jemima 1 (Waldegrave) Pelham
Robert Battle (continuación de 175: 93)


TEMA 2021

2021- La familia negra: representación, identidad y diversidad.

La familia negra ha sido un tema de estudio en muchas disciplinas: historia, literatura, artes visuales y estudios cinematográficos, sociología, antropología y política social. Su r epresentación, identidad y diversidad han sido reverenciados, estereotipados y vilipendiados desde los días de la esclavitud hasta nuestro tiempo. La familia negra no conoce un solo lugar, ya que las reuniones familiares y las búsquedas de ascendencia genética atestiguan la dispersión de miembros de la familia en los estados, naciones y continentes. No solo las familias negras individuales son diaspóricas, sino que África y la diáspora misma han sido retratadas durante mucho tiempo como la familia negra en general. Si bien algunos han descrito el papel de la familia negra como un microcosmos de toda la raza, su complejidad como el "fundamento" de la vida y la historia afroamericana se puede ver en numerosos debates sobre cómo representar su significado y tipicidad desde una perspectiva histórica. perspectiva: como esclavo o libre, como patriarcal o matriarcal / matrifocal, como hogar con un solo cabeza o con dos cabezas, como extendido o nuclear, como pariente ficticio o linaje de sangre, como legal o de derecho consuetudinario, y como negro o interracial, etc. También aparecen variaciones en las discusiones sobre la naturaleza y el impacto de la crianza de los hijos, la infancia, el matrimonio, las normas de género, la sexualidad y el encarcelamiento. La familia ofrece un rico tapiz de imágenes para explorar el pasado y el presente de los afroamericanos.

Haga clic aquí para descargar un pdf imprimible

2022- Salud y bienestar negros

"Cuando los blancos contraen un resfriado, los negros contraen neumonía". Este viejo dicho, pronunciado por miembros de la comunidad afroamericana cuando las disparidades económicas se vuelven más graves, revela cuán insidioso es el racismo anti-negro, incluso en forma de metáfora médica. En este momento pandémico en particular, el impacto desproporcionado de las enfermedades en las personas negras y morenas, así como en otros grupos que enfrentan perjuicios sociales en su contra, está causando estragos en este país y, en general, en nuestra sociedad global en general. Los Centros para el Control y la Prevención de Enfermedades (CDC) informaron que la gripe de 1918 infectó a casi 500 millones de personas en todo el mundo. Esta pandemia anterior causó 50 millones de muertes en todo el mundo, incluidas 675.000 en las Américas. Aunque los afroamericanos no parecían tener las mismas tasas de mortalidad durante la pandemia de influenza de 1918, la historia completa revela las razones por las que los negros "supuestamente" obtuvieron mejores resultados. Hubo muy poca investigación estadística que incluyera víctimas negras de la influenza de 1918. Los expertos ahora creen que hubo muchas más muertes en la comunidad negra durante este tiempo, pero los gobiernos federal y estatal borraron a las personas negras de los conjuntos de datos. Durante la epidemia de gripe de 1918 en la mayoría de las ciudades de los Estados Unidos, las personas de raza negra y morena que estaban infectadas fueron atendidas por miembros de la familia o se vieron obligadas a utilizar "hospitales de color" racialmente segregados y mal financiados. Durante este tiempo, la era de Jim Crow, los pacientes negros a menudo recibían una atención deficiente debido a las desigualdades estructurales firmemente establecidas hace siglos (por ejemplo, hospitales con falta de fondos y personal, administradores blancos racistas y hacinamiento). Incluso después de la muerte, las víctimas de la influenza negra no estuvieron protegidas de la lucha contra la negritud durante la epidemia. En Baltimore, Mount Auburn, el único cementerio de la ciudad para residentes negros, se inundó de cadáveres. Los trabajadores sanitarios blancos se negaron a cavar zanjas en cementerios exclusivos para blancos en busca de cadáveres negros. Los determinantes sociales del racismo, la segregación y la pobreza afectaron negativamente la respuesta de los negros a la epidemia más mortífera del siglo XX.

Avance rápido hasta 2020 y todavía existen patrones similares durante la Era de Covid-19 en espacios abrumadoramente negros. Por ejemplo, debido al hacinamiento en espacios residenciales y hospitales, la falta de financiación de los hospitales y la gente negra que trabaja en trabajos de bajos salarios que requieren la participación pública, estamos experimentando una catástrofe médica. En las áreas más afectadas de Estados Unidos, como la ciudad de Nueva York, las personas de raza negra y morena tienen el doble de probabilidades de morir a causa del COVID-19 que las personas de raza blanca. Además, estos casos se han concentrado en códigos postales donde los residentes son personas con salarios bajos, donde las personas viven en apartamentos abarrotados y no pueden trabajar desde casa, aislarse de los demás y huir a sus casas de vacaciones. Además, en Washington, DC, una ciudad con una población de residentes negros más alta que incluso Mississippi, el estado más "negro", con un 45% de casos de COVID-19, el 79% de esa cifra ha resultado en la muerte de residentes negros. Programas de noticias aún más angustiantes desde abril de 2020, los afroamericanos han representado más del 80% de los pacientes hospitalizados por COVID-19 en Georgia, un estado de Blackbelt, y casi todas las muertes por COVID-19 en St. Louis. Se han observado tendencias similares para pacientes negros y del sur de Asia en el Reino Unido. Las personas de color marrón y negro en el Sur global se encuentran en situaciones casi idénticas y, al igual que los Estados Unidos, los gobiernos del sur de Asia y el Reino Unido no están respondiendo a las necesidades específicas de estas víctimas. Estamos decididos a crear una plataforma que aborde estas disparidades a través de la educación y el activismo.

Haga clic aquí para descargar un pdf imprimible

2023- Resistencia y violencia contra los negros en la diáspora


Blondin el héroe de Niágara

El jueves 30 de junio de 1859, la atmósfera en las Cataratas del Niágara se cargó de emoción. Un francés de complexión leve, vestido con mallas y con una larga vara de equilibrio, estaba planeando intentar lo imposible: iba a cruzar el terrible desfiladero del río Niágara a una milla por debajo de las cataratas en un delgado cable de cuerda, a 190 pies por encima de el diluvio veloz y hirviente. Mientras miraban con fascinación, protegiéndose los ojos con sus sombrillas, las damas con crinolinas casi se desmayan. Los hombres fuertes con sombreros de copa y acciones estaban tensos, ya que muchos habían apostado grandes sumas por el resultado. Las niñas se aferraban a las faldas de sus enfermeras y los niños pequeños alzaban el cielo. Trescientas mil personas (¿o eran diez mil?) Contuvieron el aliento cuando Jean François Gravelet, más conocido como Blondin, se acercó al cable inclinado.

Para la gente de la moda, la riqueza, la belleza y la cultura, tanto del norte como del sur, las Cataratas ya eran una gran atracción hace un siglo. Familias enteras con sus sirvientes visitaron Niágara en los nuevos vagones de vapor. Aquí pasaban veranos enteros en el suave y estimulante frescor que todavía es característico de la zona en los meses calurosos. Se registraron en hoteles de lujo como Clifton House o Cataract House, con su enorme salón de baile y soberbios candelabros de cristal. Escucharon la música suave y bailaron durante las apacibles noches. Se sentaron en las largas terrazas que enlazaban con el desfiladero del río y disfrutaron de las largas tardes, escuchando el estruendo de las cataratas y viendo las nubes de niebla que siempre cagaban y formaban arco iris mientras las aguas chocaban contra las rocas de abajo.

Había muchos establos de librea con carruajes de todo tipo tirados por caballos de pelaje brillante, ya que era costumbre salir a diario y ver las cataratas desde varios puntos estratégicos. En aquellos días no había parques, pero las áreas a ambos lados del Niágara estaban abarrotadas de actividades para emprender libremente. Había restaurantes y lugares para beber y espectáculos de Punch-and-Judy y terneros de dos cabezas y damas barbudas. Era un lugar hecho por encargo para Blondin.

Físicamente, Blondin era un hombre pequeño, que se distinguía por los ojos azules y el cabello rubio que le había dado su apodo. Medía sólo un metro setenta y cinco y pesaba apenas setenta y cinco kilos. Ágil y enjuto, había desarrollado una excelente coordinación en el cable estrecho durante años de experiencia en teatros y circos. Poseía imaginación y coraje y una tremenda seguridad en sí mismo, incluso suficiente coraje y seguridad para realizar sin un solo desliz los fantásticos actos que eran fruto de su imaginación. Comenzó a experimentar en la cuerda floja cuando tenía cinco años. Cuando apareció por primera vez en Niagara a principios de junio de 1859, fue con la intención de ganar algunos dólares durante el verano mientras esperaba comenzar un compromiso a fines de agosto con la Tropa Ecuestre de Franconi. Tenía entonces 35 años y había venido a Estados Unidos ocho años antes.

Mientras se preparaba para el gran evento, Blondin mostró su genio para la publicidad y su comprensión de la morbosa curiosidad de la multitud. Había dispuesto el uso de un cable de cuerda de dos pulgadas de diámetro y 1.300 pies de largo. Colocar esta mesa a lo largo del desfiladero rugiente y anclarla de forma segura en ambos lados presentó un problema considerable. Una cuerda liviana, de siete octavos de pulgada de diámetro, se unió a un extremo de la mesa y se usó para transportarla a través del río. En el lado estadounidense, estaba enrollado alrededor de un enorme roble en White's Pleasure Grounds.Cuando se había atraído a unos 200 pies del lado canadiense, algunos de los ayudantes de Blondin expresaron el temor de que la cuerda liviana no fuera lo suficientemente fuerte para soportar el peso del pesado cable que fue sacado de la garganta del Niágara para su anclaje en Canadá.

Blondin sabía exactamente qué hacer. Mientras los espectadores miraban fijamente, ató otra cuerda a su cuerpo, bajó los 200 pies con la cuerda pequeña, ató la segunda cuerda también al extremo del cable y luego volvió a trepar tranquilamente al suelo canadiense. Con las dos líneas que lo sostenían, el cable se tiró a tierra y se aseguró a una roca.

En realidad, había unos 400 metros de cable sobre el desfiladero. Unos quince metros fueron elevados por el inevitable hundimiento en el centro, y se necesitaron unos pocos pies en cada extremo para proporcionar tensión y anclaje seguro. Se extendía a medio camino entre el Puente Colgante y la Casa Clifton. Para evitar que se balanceara, corrían cuerdas de seguridad a intervalos de unos seis metros hasta los postes de anclaje en ambas orillas. Pero había una parte considerable en el centro, tal vez hasta quince metros, donde no era práctico sujetar los tirantes. En los puntos donde el cable llegó a tierra, el suelo estaba a unos 240 pies sobre el nivel del agua del Niágara. Esto significaba que, teniendo en cuenta el hundimiento, el centro estaba en realidad a unos 190 pies por encima de las aguas del desfiladero.

El jueves 30 de junio, día programado para el primer cruce de Blondin. Niágara tenía aire de carnaval. En el lado estadounidense había tribunas especiales, a las que se cobraba la entrada. Temprano en el día, Blondin realizó hazañas preliminares en la cuerda floja en White’s Pleasure Grounds mientras las bandas tocaban "God Save the Queen", "Hail, Columbia" y otros aires populares. En ambos extremos de la mesa, Harry Colcord, el gerente de Blondin, había proporcionado pequeños recintos con "todas las facilidades" para los reporteros. Era, dijo el Buffalo Morning Express, "el día ideal para este tipo de cosas".

De repente, el ruido se redujo a un murmullo expectante cuando Blondin apareció en el extremo americano del cable. Lo que vieron los espectadores se informó a la mañana siguiente en el Express: Mons. Blondin acaba de lograr con éxito la hazaña de cruzar el río Nigeria con una cuerda floja en presencia de una multitud estimada de cinco a diez mil personas, la primera cruzada desde el lado estadounidense, deteniéndose a mitad de camino para refrescarse con agua levantada en una botella con una cuerda de la cubierta del vapor Maid of the Mist. El tiempo ocupado en el primer cruce fue de diecisiete minutos y un pasillo.

Cuando Blondin llegó al lado canadiense, saludó a los reporteros, brindó borracho por su salud y anunció que regresaría por cable al lado estadounidense en el pasillo una hora. Le recogieron una colección y lo llevaron en un carruaje tirado por cuatro bahías decoradas con banderas a la Casa Clifton para un breve descanso. Cuando regresó al cable para el cruce de regreso, el reportero escribió que participó de algunos "refrigerios proporcionados por el Sr. Kavanagh del Great Western Hotel". El viaje de regreso, realizado rápidamente y sin incidentes, fue casi un anticlímax. "Ciertamente él está a la cabeza de los que practican la cuerda floja y la posesión de tanta frialdad y falta total de miedo debe ser un lujo", dijo un editorial de Express. "Vive Blondin".

Los planes de Blondin para el futuro, especialmente para un cruce el 4 de julio, fueron ampliamente publicitados. La escena del río, cuando llegaron esas vacaciones, debe haber sido extraña. Cada punto de observación, cada árbol, cada roca, así como cada asiento en las tribunas, estaba ocupado por una gran multitud, mórbidamente confiada en que Blondin perdería el equilibrio y se zambulliría en el desfiladero del Niágara. Nunca le quitaron los ojos de encima para no perderse el terrible momento. Se dijo que apostar por el resultado había sido enorme.

A la hora señalada, Blondin apareció en el extremo estadounidense del cable sin su barra de equilibrio de 38 pies. A mitad de camino, se acostó a lo largo del cable, poniendo un pie sobre el otro. Caminó hacia atrás rápidamente, equilibrado sobre un pie, extendió el otro y también su cuerpo sobre la "inundación hirviente", se dio la vuelta como si hubiera estado "en un taburete pivotante, repitió esto en la tienda del cable, tomó un matraz de su bolsillo y bebió, luego completó su viaje.

Después de descansar aproximadamente una hora, apareció en el extremo canadiense del cable, agitando un saco. Cuando se lo puso sobre la cabeza, los espectadores vieron que le llegaba hasta las rodillas, privándolo de la vista y del uso de brazos y manos. Con este hándicap, repitió en su viaje de regreso las evoluciones de la travesía anterior. “De hecho, escribió el extasiado reportero de Express,“ uno apenas puede creer que la hazaña fuera real, y se queda mirando el delgado cordón y el espantoso abismo en un estado de total desconcierto. ... Lo miro hacia atrás como si fuera un sueño ".

El 15 de julio, el Express informó sobre lo que se anunció como la actuación de "despedida" de Blondin. Se informó que hizo su primer cruce caminando hacia atrás desde el lado estadounidense al canadiense. En el viaje de regreso empujó una carretilla, "deteniéndose en el centro para hacer varias acrobacias". En este día tuvo la mayor multitud reunida hasta el momento.

Pero había más por venir, Blondin no tenía intención de despedirse mientras la multitud seguía creciendo. El miércoles 3 de agosto, sin duda "por pedido popular", anunció un cuarto cruce. Las comunidades a ambos lados de las Cataratas del Niágara estaban abarrotadas de visitantes, superando las multitudes de todas las exposiciones anteriores. Llegaron multitudes, no solo de Buffalo y Toronto, sino también de Rochester y muchas otras ciudades. Los ferrocarriles y las líneas de barcos de vapor realizaban excursiones.

Blondin apareció alrededor de las cuatro y media de la tarde y rápidamente cruzó del lado estadounidense al canadiense a lo que un reportero describió como un “ritmo de tropiezo. Descansó unos quince minutos en Canadá y comenzó su regreso. Aproximadamente a la mitad del camino hacia el centro, se detuvo y se sentó, y luego se estiró completamente. After this, he proceeded to do “a number of daring antics” and finally stood on his head “a moment at least,” swinging and kicking his feet in “the most reckless and ludicrous manner.”

He then resumed his journey, but paused to repeat his antics with the addition of a backward somersault and one or two sudden swings around the cable. (Screams from the ladies.) He laid his balancing pole across the guy ropes, went to the middle distance of the cable, swung himself under it by his hands, and proceeded to work his way back and forth with his hands and feet, monkey-style. He varied this performance by clutching the cable with both hands, swinging his body clear of it, and then hanging for several seconds by both hands, and finally by one hand.

He repeatedly turned somersaults after the fashion of small boys, throwing his feet over his head and between his arms and hanging by his shoulder joints in “a most unnatural position.” He held his body in a horizontal position with his hands, then suspended himself by both legs and later by one leg, with nothing but air and his strength and skill between him and the raging waters below. He whirled around the cable, turned more somersaults, and stood on his head again. He repeated many of the stunts several times before he returned to the American side of the Niagara, completing a performance “exciting enough,” according to the Express reporter, “for the most greedy seeker after sensations.”

Then, on August 17, came a performance that in sheer excitement—and real danger—surpassed anything Blondin had attempted. He crossed from the American side, doing many of his usual stunts. But then, after a short rest, he appeared on the Canadian end of the cable with Harry Colcord clinging to his back.

Colcord weighed about the same as Blondin—140 pounds—so that the Frenchman was carrying a weight equal to his own, plus his 45-pound balancing pole.

Two looped cords hung from Blondin’s shoulders, and into these Colcord had thrust his legs so that he was riding pickaback, his arms about Blondin’s neck. The little wire-walker covered about one third of the distance swiftly, with no sign of fatigue. Then he stopped and asked Colcord to slip his legs out of the slings and stand on the cable, holding on to Blondin’s shoulders. After Blondin had rested a few minutes, Colcord mounted again—not an easy feat because of the slippery tights Blondin wore—and they went on.

It soon became evident to the spectators that the weight of Colcord and the length of the crossing were telling on Blondin. Halts for rest became more and more frequent. Colcord, for whom this was a new experience, became increasingly terrified. He had been warned not to look down, but his eyes were drawn irresistibly to the white-capped waters 190 feet below. He was fascinated by the illusion that he and Blondin were moving swiftly upstream.

They had now reached the center of the cable, and here, where there were no guy ropes, it swayed disconcertingly. Blondin seemed to stagger under his load. His balancing pole swung furiously up and down. Colcord had all he could do to heed the directions to “rest like a dead weight on my back.” Blondin had told him, “If I should sway or stumble, do not attempt to balance yourself.” Now, at the most dangerous stage of the crossing, Colcord simply had to obey orders.

On shore, the crowds were under an enormous emotional strain. Some shielded their eyes in fear of what they might see, and still they could not look away.

In a brave attempt to regain his balance, Blondin ran swiftly along thirty feet of the cable to the first guy rope strung to the American side. Here he paused to recover his strength and his breath and to rest his straining back. He placed one foot on a guy rope at the cable, and it promptly broke. He had to start regaining his balance all over again—a feat made more difficult by the fact that the sudden release of tension on one side made the cable jerk sideways. But, despite this surprise, Blondin regained his balance after a moment and rushed to the next pair of guy ropes.

Again he told Colcord to get off. Blondin’s body was rigid, every muscle tense. Beads of perspiration stood out on his face and body. When finally he could breathe more easily, he ordered Colcord back into position, began his slow climb up the slope of the cable, and finally reached the American shore.

There never had been such a crowd waiting for him. The strain suddenly relieved, people surged toward him. Blondin was dismayed. He began to fear that he and Colcord might be shoved over the bank by the pressure of those pushing up from the rear.

“What will I do?” he asked Colcord.

“Make a rush and drive right through them,” Colcord urged, and this is what Blondin did.

The wildly excited welcomers hoisted the two men to their shoulders and cheered themselves hoarse. (Blondin later told Colcord that the guy rope had snapped because someone had been tampering with it. There was enormous betting on Blondin, and he suspected some gambler had tried to weigh the scales against him slightly.)

On the last day of August, Blondin gave his first night performance. This was long before the days of massed floodlights at Niagara Falls, and in order to relieve the darkness of the crossing, a locomotive headlight had been placed at each end of the cable. Blondin carried colored lights at the tips of his balancing pole, so that the crowd could follow his progress.

It seemed to the watching thousands that the little Frenchman was pressing his skill and luck too far. They were certain of it when the lights on his pole suddenly went out just as he reached the mid-point of his journey. But those who were near enough to the cable to touch it could tell by the vibration that he was still on it, and he completed the journey safely.

In subsequent crossings Blondin the showman even further embellished the exploits of Blondin the tightrope walker. Once he crossed with baskets on his feet and shackles on his body. At another time he carried a table and chair and tried to seat himself on the chair with two of its legs balanced on the cable. The chair fell into the Niagara, and Blondin nearly tumbled after. He regained his balance, sat down on the cable, and ate a piece of cake, washed down with champagne.

Much to the delight of the businessmen on both sides of the Niagara, Blondin returned in 1860 and repeated some of his feats on a cable strung over the Whirlpool Rapids. Former President Millard Fillmore, who lived in Buffalo, is known to have watched one of the 1859 crossings, and in September, 1860, Blondin carried Colcord across on his back again before the Prince of Wales, who was to become King Edward VII.

When he left Niagara, Blondin still had a long career before him. He performed at Coney Island during the summer of 1888, and when he gave his last performance—in Belfast, Ireland, in 1896 at the age of 72—it is said that he walked his wire as nimbly as ever. For years he lived near London, in a home he called Niagara House, and there he died in 1897.

Meanwhile, at Niagara itself, Blondin had a number of imitators over the years, but though several of them performed feats of equal skill, it was Blondin who remained the hero of Niagara, and no one ever took his place in the public’s affection. Songs were written about him, and years afterward, on the long verandas facing the gorge, people who as children had witnessed his exploits still talked about the daring Frenchman with the blue eyes and the wavy blond hair who had made them gasp and look away and look again as he performed his incredible antics, supremely indifferent to the grisly death that was only a slight misstep away.


Niagara VII PG-52 - History

The Maid of the Mist dock facilities (Ontario)

The most famous legend in Niagara Falls is that of the Maid of the Mist, the Thunder God Hinum and the origin of the Falls of Niagara. This legend originated with the Neuter Indian Nation which occupied the Niagara District when the first French priests came to their villages to preach Christianity.

The story goes that Indian tribes were dying of an unknown cause. Each year the Indians were sending canoes filled with fruit over the Falls to appease the God Hinum and his two sons who the Indians believed lived behind the Falls. When the Indian luck did not improve, they felt that their God was not satisfied. Consequently they began sacrificing their most beautiful Indian maiden each year but still their luck did not improve.

One year, Lelawalo, the daughter of the Chief of the tribe was sacrificed to the spirit of the Falls. She was placed into a canoe filled with food and sent on her way over the mighty cataract. Legend says that this Indian maiden was caught in the arms of the God's sons. Recalling that she had been sent to her death, the Indian maiden agreed to take one of the sons as her husband with one condition.

One of the sons relented and told her that there was a poisonous snake that lived at the bottom of the river would get hungry once a year and crawl to the where the Indians were and poison their water. The Indians would drink the poisoned water and die. After burial, the snake would return to consume their bodies.

The Indian maiden convinced the youngest son of the God to allow her to go back to the tribe one more time to tell them what the snake was doing and how to kill them with spears. One night when the snake returned , the Indian braves were waiting and speared the snake. The snake crawled back to the edge of the Falls and died with its body shaped like a horseshoe.

Legend has it that the shape of the Falls became horseshoe shaped from the body of the snake. It is said that it remains to this day, showing that the Gods are still protecting the Indians against evil spirits.

The Maid of the Mist at the base of the Horseshoe Falls

To learn more about the early history of Niagara Falls,
please visit the Chronicles of our Early Settlers section
.

selection from the Chronicles of our Early Settlers section

The Front Cover of an Early Maid of the Mist brochure

In 1807, Christian Dow speculated about the possibility of man crossing the Niagara River below the Falls as he watched wild ducks swimming back and forth across the span of the river.

The location of Indian ladders down the gorge wall at the site of the current Maid of the Mist dock are seen in early guide pamphlets. Until 1795, when Mrs. Simcoe (Governor John Graves Simcoe's wife) visited, the ladders were the only way down the gorge embankment. In her diary, she wrote: "Mr. Pilkington was desired to place ladders to form a stairway down the bank".

Mr. Pilkington did arrange the ladders in a stairway fashion but it was still a very daring and dangerous undertaking.

In 1818, William Forsyth built a stairway at the former ladder site to facilitate access to his row boat ferry service which Forsyth was planning to operate.

In 1818, William Forsyth along with American hotel owner Parkhurst Whitney, began the first row boat ferry service crossing the Niagara River below the Falls. Forsyth did so without at first obtaining government permission.

Parkhurst Whitney built the first stairway down the bank of the Gorge on the American side.

When Forsyth finally asked for government permission, Thomas Clark strongly objected to Forsyth's aggressiveness, and used his influence to lobby politicians to prevent Forsyth from obtaining the ferry service lease.

With the support of Thomas Clark, Christopher Boughner was granted the government lease to operate the ferry service. The lease was to begin on December 25th 1820 for seven year period.

William Forsyth was outraged at the government decision to grant Boughner the ferry lease. To further infuriate Forsyth, Boughner built a stairway to the ferry dock adjacent to Forsyth's stairway.

Forsyth knew that Boughner had a number of debts. Forsyth went about buying up all of Boughner's debts until Forsyth became Boughner's sole creditor. Forsyth began applying pressure to have Boughner pay his debts knowing full well that Boughner could not.

Boughner finally caved into Forsyth's pressure and gave up his rights to the ferry service to Forsyth in exchange for Forsyth canceling Boughner's debts. After fourteen months, Boughner was out of the ferry business while William Forsyth was in business again.

Thomas Clark was very angry over how Forsyth had forced Boughner to give up his ferry service to Forsyth.

On December 21st 1821, Thomas Clark wrote a letter to the Government of Upper Canada outlining what Forsyth had done to Boughner in order to take over the ferry service. Clark recommended that the government revoke Forsyth's ferry lease and award it to someone else.

On January 23rd 1822, acting on the recommendation of the Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, the ferry service lease of William Forsyth was rescinded for non-payment of the quarterly fee that had not bee paid to the government.

On April 30th 1822, the government granted the ferry service lease to George Milmine. He was allowed to operate the service for a three year term.

The inside page of an Early Maid of the Mist brochure

On April 15th 1825, Thomas Clark and Samuel Street applied for and granted a twenty-one year lease. The granting of their lease hinged on their commitment to build a carriage road down the side of the gorge to the ferry landing. Their lease expired in 1846. The road to the ferry landing cost $5,000 and was paved with cobblestone. It had a hairpin turn during the descent. This turn was until several years ago, still as it was when built by Clark and Street. Modernization has now eliminated this turn.

In 1825, the stairway on the American side was replaced with a spiral stairway built by the Porter Brothers, who owned the American Falls at the time.

Augustus and Peter Porter applied for and were granted the rights to operate the American ferry service. The Porter brothers attempted to blast a road along the gorge wall approximately 100 feet north of the American Falls. The road was never completed because rock falls and washouts forced the Porter brothers to abandon their plans.

The Porter stairway remained in operation until 1844 when the stairway was augmented by an incline railway cut into the gorge wall. The new incline railway was water powered.

The crossing time with a large rowboat took eight minutes. Fares ranged from 18 in summer months and 25 in the winter months.

During the 1840's, more than forty rowboats were plying their trade on the lower Niagara River. Rowboats were now being employed in taking tourists upstream to the base of the American and Horseshoe Falls. Throughout the period of rowboat use, there are no records of any accidents.

On November 6th 1845, Adam Fralick was granted a ferry license. He was restricted to operating his ferry service 2.5 miles downstream of the Falls.

On January 11th 1850, management of the ferry service was given to the Customs Branch of the Inspector Generals Office.

On April 29th 1853, Gilbert Mickmicken was awarded the ferry lease.

In 1846, the Niagara Falls Ferry Association received its charter from the State of New York to operate a steamboat ferry service.

In May 1846, an awkward looking large steamship with two smoke stacks was launched. It was christened "Maid of the Mist". This 100 ton ferry was commanded by Captain Filkins and Captain George Synes. The ferry operated from a dock located just south of the Railway Bridge.

In 1848, the Falls View Suspension Bridge was completed. Ferry service across the Niagara River became obsolete overnight. It was now quicker, easier and cheaper to use the bridge to cross the Niagara Gorge.

In order to remain in business and to keep it profitable, the Niagara Falls Ferry Association began using the "Maid of the Mist" to take tourists on trips past the base of the American Falls and the Horseshoe Falls.

On January 9th 1851, the Maid of the Mist sank in twenty feet of water while moored at its Bellevue wharf. The cause was attributed to the build up of heavy snow. The Maid of the Mist was re-floated. It had sustained little damage. It remained in service until 1854.

On July 14th 1854, the new "Maid of the Mist" was launched. The new boat was a steam driven paddle wheel boat measuring 72 feet (22m) long and 17 feet (5.18m) breadth of beam. It had an eight foot (2.4m) draught and was powered by a 100 horsepower engine. This ferry was commanded by Captain Joel E. Robinson. Passengers were given oil skin coats and caps to keep them dry. This Maid of the Mist made its last trip in the Fall of 1860.

On June 6th 1861, after the Maid of the Mist had been sold, Captain Robinson and a crew of two, sailed the Maid of the Mist through the Great Gorge Rapids on route to Montreal. It was a perilous journey but successful. Captain Robinson retired after the trip through the rapids. (see Daredevils Section)

From 1860 to 1885, there were no steamboat ferries in the Niagara River below the Falls.

In 1883, a replica of the Maid of the Mist ferry boat was sent through the Great Gorge Rapids with no one on board as a publicity stunt.

By 1868, there were now two suspension bridges in operation across the Niagara Gorge.

In 1878, the railroads began bringing tourists back to the Falls in large numbers. This spurned the building of a new Maid of the Mist steamboat ferry.

In 1884, R.F. Carter and Frank Le Blond of the Village of Clifton invested $10,000 into the building of the new Maid of the Mist.

The third Maid of the Mist was built at the dock on the Canadian side. It was launched into service in 1885. A sister ship was built on the US side.

In 1894, the International Railway Company built a passenger incline railway down the embankment on the Canadian shore.

In 1906, the American incline railway was changed from being water powered to electrical power.

In 1938, the great ice jam that destroyed the Honeymoon Bridge threatened to destroy the two Maids of the Mist tour boats. Both survived, only to be destroyed by fire on April 22nd 1955. The fire was started when a spark from a welders torch ignited.

Niagara Falls Fire Chief Dies-Boats Damaged

Both Maids of the Mist are Razed - Chief Collapses Fighting Fires

Fire Chief John C. Shapton died in the Greater Niagara General Hospital at 12:35 pm following a heart seizure suffered 90 minutes earlier while he was directing firefighting operations at the Maid of the Mist landing where the fire almost completely destroyed the two Maids of the Mist mounted on their winter births.

Shapton, age 59, was rushed to the hospital by his son Thomas, also a city fireman after collapsing at the dock where the firemen were pumping water from the Niagara River.

Chief Shapton was the only full-time chief in the history of the fire department. He had heroically led the battle from the time the fire started at approximately 10:15 a.m.. Fire swept through the two vessels in 10 minutes time feeding on a tar canvas covering. Only the hulls were still intact. Frank Le Blond, president of the Maid of the Mist Steamship Company estimated the replacement value at $350,000. Inspectors from the Canadian Steamship Comapny after examining the damage stated that both maids may be able to operate in the summer. At first both boats were believed a total loss but inspectors found that only the upper sections of the boats burned in the flash fire. In event that both boats cannot be fixed, Mr. Le Blond will attempt to secure several launches to operate with.

The fire started in the starboard corner of the large boat when workmen were working with torches. It was first spotted by Thomas Masson, he's a carpenter who suffered cuts and a sprained arm fighting the fire. Wilford Storm another employee suffered bruised ribs. Twenty-eight men were working on the two vessels when the flames broke out. The fire spread rapidly and fed on the tar canvas on both boats.

No accidents or injuries have occurred on the Maid of the Mist except when one of the vessels was disabled when a drift log fouled it's propellers. Captain Malloy signalled Captain Carter for assistance and got a line aboard from the other Maid and towed the crippled boat back to the American side.

1916- Two other accidents were recorded. On September 21st, when the Maid of the Mist ran aground beside Goat Island. The captain ordered the passengers to put on life preservers and prepare to launch lifeboats but the boat pulled itself free from under its own power.

October 2nd 1916 on the last trip of the year when a propeller shaft broke near the foot of the Horseshoe Falls. The captain ordered the anchor cast. Passengers were taken to Goat Island but the crew remained on the boat all night until it was removed the next morning.

April 23rd 1955 - Maids of the Mist to sail again. The new looks Maid of the Mist to sail the summer. They will be launch type vessels without upper structures.

April 26nd 1955 - Steamship inspectors approve rebuilding of Maid's of the Mist. Le Blond estimates it will cost $150,000. They have abandoned the idea to operate without upper deck because it is not financially viable. With main deck large vessel can carry 140 people and the small boat can carry 100 people.

April 30th 1955 - New Maid of the Mist will sail in Niagara. A contract signed by Frank La Blond, president of the Maid of the Mist Company and the Russell-Hipwell Shipbuilding Company of Owen Sound for the construction of the new Maid. The single decker will cost approximately $100,000. It will be prefabricated and moved into the Niagara gorge in sections. Le Blond hopes to have the new vessel in operation in August.

May 11th 1955 - Maid operation will resume in a months time. A steel hull made in Holland and moored at Hamilton Harbour for two years was skidded down into the gorge Tuesday. The hull was moved and lowered into the gorge lasting ten hours. A deck and wheelhouse will be constructed immediately. Ship will have a 35 passenger capacity with two diesel engines and be 40 feet long and weighing eight tons.

June 1st 1955 - Operate new Maid by mid-June. Forty foot steamer nears completion powered by two - 100 horsepower diesel engines.

June 13th 1955 - Launch of the little Maid into the Niagara River.

July 11th 1955 - The first of big Maid's moving into the gorge. The first of four sections that will be welded together. The vessel will be 65 feet long and have a 100 person capacity. It will be the first of two ships to be built.

July 12th 1955 - Word has it that wood from the two burned out Maids of the Mist will be turned into wooden nickels. it is a promotional stunt by Niagara Falls Chamber of Commerce. Fifty thousand wooden nickels will be made.

July 29th 1955 - The new Maid of Mist was christened and is ready for service. Thousands of citzens witnessed the launching ceremonies of the Maid of the Mist 3.

August 4th 1955 - The new Maid of the Mist 3 begins regular sailings.

August 17th 1955 - The wooden nickels are on sale.

In less than one month after the fire, a forty foot yacht was brought down to the ferry dock along the service road on the Canadian shore. This boat was named the "Little Maid of the Mist".

The Maids of the Mist tour boats need to be taken out of the water before November 1st each year. Ontario Hydro reduces the water level on that date so that the boats would be not be able to reach their winter cradles

Since 1971, the Maid of the Mist Tour Boat Company has been owned by the Glynn family of Lewiston, New York. It is an American Company however the boats are registered from St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.

The Maid of the Mist Tour Boat facilities at the base of the Prospect Point Tower (New York)

* the Maid of the Mist cannot be launched into the waters of the Niagara River until after April 1st of each year. The presence of ice in the river may delay the date of the launch.

The First Time
Lifting the Maid of the Mist VI and the Maid of the Mist VII onto Winter Dry Docks - Niagara Falls USA
October 31st 2013

Preparing to lift the Maid of the Mist boats onto winter dry-docks - Niagara Falls USA
October 29th 2013

The entire Liebherr Crane, weighing nearly 160 tons, will be used to lift the Maid of the Mist boats out of the Niagara River
for storage at its new docking site during the winter months. The crane is anchored 70 feet (21.3m) into the bedrock.

The Maid of the Mist, which has operated tour boats at the base of the Falls since 1846 and owned by the Glynn family since 1971, lost its Canadian contract in 2009 when the Niagara Parks Commission (Ontario) elected to reopened the Glynn's tour boat contract to open bidding as a result of lawsuits and public scrutiny of the company's no-bid contract.

The Maid was outbid by Hornblower Cruises and Entertainment, a California-based cruise operator, and lost its storage facilities located on the Canadian side of the gorge along with the right to operate in Ontario. Hornblower gained rights to the site at the beginning of 2014.

That process netted the deal with Hornblower, a 30-year contract Canadian officials estimate will generate more than $500 million in revenue to the parks governing body, or $300 million more than it received in its previous agreement with Maid of the Mist.

With no storage facilities on the American side of the gorge, the company was in danger of losing its ability to operate the attraction and it's ultimate extinction following a legendary and colourful history.

The Maid of the Mist had an existing lease with the State of New York signed in 2002, which allows the company to run boat tours from the American side of the lower Niagara Gorge. The Maid of the Mist lease on the American side of the Niagara River expires in 2043.

In 2012, New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo joined the Glynn's in announcing an amendment to the Maid of the Mist's existing 40-year contract that was signed in 2002. This amendment will add the State of New York take in an additional $105 million over the course of agreement and see the Maid of the Mist Tour Boat Company spend an additional $32 million to convert the historic Schoellkopf Power Station site into a dry dock facility for the boats and to enhance the historic aspects of the site to create another attraction for visitors.

In 2012 Maid of the Mist faced closure in the absence of storage space for its boats on the New York side of the river. Governor Cuomo struck a deal to keep the boats running and produce increased revenues for Niagara Falls State Park. The Maid of the Mist Corporation agreed to invest $32 million in the former Schoellkopf Power Station site near the falls to make it suitable for the winter storage and maintenance of its boats. Under the memorandum, the company agreed to increase its license payments to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, totalling $105 million over 30 years three times the revenues that were projected for the 30-year period when a contract was initially approved in 2002.

The Maid of the Mist Company will build two new electric catamaran-style vessels Maid of the Mist vessels. Both will be able to carry about 520 passengers each.The catamaran hull is welded 5086 H116 aluminum, and is 27.5 m (90 ft) long and 10.4 m (34 ft) wide, with a 1.7 m (5 ft 7 in) draft, and can carry 500 people. Each boat has 316 kWh batteries powering 400 kW motors.

Designed by Propulsion Data Systems, the new totally integrated vessels are currently under construction by Burger Boat Company in Manitowoc, Wisc. In mid-May, the modules will be transported to Niagara Falls and lowered onto the Maid of the Mist dry dock and maintenance facility for assembly. Following completion of construction, launch and certification, the new vessels will be placed into service.

ABB will supply a comprehensive integrated power and propulsion solution for the new-build vessels, including lithium-ion battery packs and an onshore charging system, enabling sustainable operation with maximum reliability.

Powered by ABB s zero-emission technology, the two fully-electric vessels will take tourists to the heart of the Niagara Falls, undisturbed by engine noise or exhaust fumes. Batteries will be recharged for seven minutes after each trip to 80% capacity, allowing for maximum efficiency and battery life. A ride is 20 minutes

Each of the vessels will be powered by a pair of battery packs with a total capacity of 316 kWh, split evenly between two catamaran hulls. Having two fully independent power systems on board will increase the resilience of operations by creating a redundancy.

The vessels will charge between every trip while passengers disembark and board. Shoreside charging will only take seven minutes, allowing the batteries to power the electric propulsion motors capable of a total 400 kW (563 HP) output. The power setup will be controlled by ABB s integrated Power and Energy Management System (PEMS), which will optimize the energy use on board.

The hull of the new vessels features an icon of the electricity symbol within a water droplet surrounded by a turbine with Niagara Falls in the background. The color scheme is environmentally-friendly green combined with the blue of the water.

The new vessels are named after Tesla, the genius inventor whose lifelong dream had been to harness the energy of the natural wonder of Niagara Falls.

the New Maid of the Mist Being Built

Maid of the Mist III built 1970 sold 1992 NLD 1998 Hike Metal Products, Wheatley ON
Maid of the Mist IV built 1974 scrapped 2013 Hike Metal Products, Wheatley ON
Maid of the Mist V built 1983 scrapped 2013 Hike Metal Products, Wheatley ON

Maid of the Mist VI (1990) - will be retired from service when the new vessels begin operating
Maid of the Mist VII (1997) - will be retired from service when the new vessels begin operating


26" Middleweights for Boys

26" Middleweights for Girls

Lightweights for Boys

Lightweights for Girls

This site provides historical information about vintage Schwinn bicycles.

We are Anna and Patrick Sexton. We created and coded this site together. Learn more about our site.

Nosotros Schwinn, but this website is not affiliated with Schwinn.

Looking for nuevo Schwinn bikes? Please visit the Official Schwinn website.


Ver el vídeo: Unreal Third person Shooter #90 - Niagara Muzzle Flash Integration (Mayo 2022).